June 19, 2015

TMQG Not Really President's Challenge

It was fun getting creative for the recent challenge project for the Toronto Modern Quilt Guild. We each chose a page at random from a variety of magazines provided by our "Not Really Presidents" and made a small quilt based on something that inspired us from the page content.

This is the page that I chose:


Mmmmmm.... let's start with the colour. Kona Cotton #150 Paprika, add #1019 Black & #1339 Snow plus a bit of upholstery fabric that is lying around the house

 



and I can see some flying geese shapes in the model's hair, skirt, and shoes. The pleats in the skirt might add some interesting shapes too. After a few false starts, I finally decide on a design. 

Next comes the freezer paper pattern (which I forget creates a mirror image of the design - I'll remember next time!). I learned this technique last year at Quilt Canada 2014 in Gail Garber's Goose is Loose course.



and finally the quilting: embellish the purse shape, add some interest to the pleats, and some free motion quilting on my new Bernina 740 with BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) to mimic the shape of the shoes.



The entries from the other TMQG members were amazing. The winner was inspired by a California Closets advertisement. Beautiful!

The great (and surprising) news is that my little 12" x 18" quilt received second prize! Look what I won, a prize ribbon created by Rebecca, one of our "Not Really Presidents". I love it!



'Till next time...